Dear Region 1 members,
We have been busy learning, growing and changing in Region 1! There is so much to do. We have set a goal to get 50 new members before the end of the year. We can’t do this alone. We need your help. You will soon be receiving information about the NEA Early Enrollment Program which will start April 1st. We need you, our local members, to talk to potential members who have never been a part of our association (some might have never had anyone talk to them yet). Under Early Enrollment, new members will be eligible for some member benefits immediately while dues will not start until September and the beginning of the new membership year. Here are 5 tips for you to discuss and guide your conversation.
- You are never on your own. You have access to high-quality professional development and education experts to help when you need it.
- Your voice can be heard. Through your local/Region 1/WEAC/NEA educators can offer our expertise and knowledge when policy decisions are made. Together, our voices give us power.
- You can grow in our professions. You can access people and resources and make connections at your school, in your region, state and throughout the nation among NEA;s more than 3 million members.
- You have friends in powerful places. When it comes to bargaining, negotiating and advocating for our students we have a seat at the table and we support each other.
- As a local member you are part of the NEA family that works to give students the education they deserve. When you join NEA you are part of a family filled with some of the brightest, most dedicated, passionate, energetic, optimistic people you will ever meet.
Your interests, your concerns, and your needs are what we want to help you with. We want to provide professional development trainings, answer questions, and build our union. We are stronger together to support one another and our students. Remember, we also have New Educator Information Cards for your use. These cards help us learn what prospective members need and want. And don’t forget, for every 5 New Educator cards you get filled out and return to Region 1, you can receive a $25 Visa card. Just return the cards to Ali Holzman at the Region 1 office with your name printed on the top of the card!
When new members filled out the new educator cards last year professional development was the number one reason they joined. That is one of the reasons we are offering our “Growing and Changing conference on March 10-11th in Eau Claire at the Lismore. We have excellent presenters ready to share their knowledge with you. There is something for everyone! I will be available to talk to anyone who comes and wants to discuss your issues at your local. Come find support, collaborate with other members and get energized!
Debra H. Bell
Region 1 President
*Talking points taken from NEA New Educator Campaign Interest Card Talking Points.